Hello lovelies, welcome back to itsjustabbsxo!
Since my post on sustainable fashion, I promised a post on how to change your lifestyle to become more sustainable. If you haven’t checked out my suitable fashion post, you definitely should – it gives you an insight into the world of fast fashion. Anyway, in todays post I am going to be sharing with you the reasons why you should do your best to change into a more sustainable lifestyle and how you can do your part to help change the world.
What is Sustainable Living?
So let’s start with the basics, what is a sustainable lifestyle? Sustainable living describes a lifestyle that attempts to reduce an individuals use of the Earth’s natural resources and your personal resources.
How can I do the switch?
A sustainable lifestyle doesn’t have to be as hard as it sounds, it can be easy – at least if you try you are doing your part for the world. Let’s get in with some tips shall we?
- Grow your own fruits, vegetables and herbs
- Visit local farmers markets for your produce
- Turn off all switches at night
- Buy reusable shopping bags
- Use metal straws
- Rinse and recycle everything (tins, jars, paper products)
- Turn off your lights when you leave the room
- Buy second hand items (clothes, cutlery and kitchen items)
- Use public transport
- Avoid items wrapped in plastic
- Stop buying bottled water; if your tap water isn’t too nice, buy a reusable filter system and filter it yourself
- Use paper bags for your fruit and veg at supermarkets
- Buy glass Tupperware
- Do a no spend month
- Buy a stainless steel drink bottles
- Repurpose glass jars
- Try making your own cleaning products – there are some great ones out there!
- Start composting
- Try going makeup free even if its just for one day a week!
- Use an erase your face makeup removing cloth or reusable makeup remover pads
- Try using shampoo bars
- Consider reusable pads or menstrual cups (these are not for everyone)
- Save all your gift bags and boxes
- Buy from your local stores, support small businesses
- Spend more time outside
- Eat whole foods or even go vegan (try eating vegan meals once a week)
- Visit library instead of buying books
- Buy coconut bowls and cutlery
- Adopt don’t shop
- Eat at home, use what you have and find new favourite meals
- Buy products in bulk
- Drink loose leaf teas
- Compost your food waste
- Save your left overs and enjoy them the next day!
- Prepare your meals ahead and only buy what is needed
- Buy reusable covers for your food rather than tin foil or plastic wrap
- Check out a vegetable box subscription
- Switch to energy saving light bulbs
And there you have it, a few tips to help you switch to a more sustainable lifestyle; by switching to these simple changes, you are making the difference for the planet and for yourself. You are bound to feel so much better within yourself for making these changes! I hope these tips helped to inspire you to have a think about how you can make a difference!
Until next time,